Saturday, July 10, 2010

Summer Reading

Heidi and Ginny have taken the summer reading challenge at our local library. They have both met their first reading goal!!

Here is a lovely layout of some of our favorite library favorites for the month of June.
Ginny's prize was a fun and scrumptious finger puppet.











Heidi will get a five dollar coupon to use for overdue book fines. She read, The Happiest Toddler on the Block and wrote a review.

After reading, loving, and using The Happiest Baby on the Block, I had high expectations for this book. It exceeded them. It is a book that I would like to download into my brain so that I can remember everything and kick in as an automatic reaction.

I appreciate Dr. Karp's explicit way of teaching and his insight into why toddlers do what they do. Being able to understand my little girl better helps to to deal with her ups and downs in a respectful way and initiate Dr. Karp's methods in a natural way. As I read his explanation and then the dialogue of an actual situation I can picture myself in the same situation. His positive and fun approaches make having toddler less stressful and extra delightful. I feel better equipped to be my daughter's ambassador as she explores the world.

Dr. Karp categorizes behaviors into green, yellow, and red. The Fast Food Rule accompanies them all. The FFR means that you repeat the feelings of the most upset person just as your order is repeated at the drive through window before anything else. I've found it to be simple and effective when working with my little one and her emotions. I have seen that when she knows that I know it keeps her from escalating. Dr. Karp gives fun suggestions for ways to play with your toddler and build their confidence which will lessen yellow and red light behaviors. I have many tools in my belt to deal with any kind of behavior after reading this book.

My favorite quote, which sums up the book's philosophy is,
"The time you spend with your children is the best investment you will ever make. All the generosity you give now will be repaid to you and your community one hundred times in the future."

I recommend this book to any parent who wants to amp up their parenting skills with effective positive measures.



2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Great book review, I'm adding it to my "to-read" list now! I can use all the help I can get.

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

I love Happiest Baby on the Block! Now I'll have to read this one. Thanks Heidi!